Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Follow up on inspiration.

So I took a bit of my time and did some research on the show LOST. What I found was that LOST is a kind of mixture between Gilligan's Island, Lord of the Flies, Survivor, Cast Away and to my surprise Myst. To find out that one of my old computer games, Myst, was part of the inspiration behind of the show Lost shocked me and actually makes sense of parts of the show now. It was after finding out that Myst is behind some of the ideas of Lost that lead me to look up the old game of Myst and its sequels. The game's storyline is this, you find a book with no author and only the title "Myst" you open the book only to find yourself fall into it and land in the world of Myst. The world of Myst is one island with puzzles the player has to solve and find out how exactly you fall into a book and land up on an island. Oh but it gets even farther out there as you find more books linking to other areas called "ages". This was a really great game to play and learn some problem solving, following the hints to know which notes I should play on the organ in the broken spaceship. It was also very good graphics at that time and made me wonder how some of the mechanics could work in real life.
Wanting to be able to try the game again since it's been way too long since I've played it I found out that it is supposed to be released soon on the Nintendo DS, which is simply great as to a fan such as myself of the series. This way I get to play the game again on the latest handheld system and see what new things they've added to it.
Having found out how Lost was inspired by such a game it gives me the idea to revisit some of my childhood past and get some ideas on maybe a story I could write. And with that I wait to see what the next episode of Lost is aired, and when the game Myst is released on the DS.

No comments: